Followers

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Fish Scales Tutorial


Hello! 


Today I have a little tutorial to show you how I color fish scales, or mermaid. 
I got many request for a tutorial on colouring a mermaid/ of fish tail.
So I've prepared a step by step for you. Of course I show you how to do it with your Copics.


 First use a darker color and if possible a different tone to the rest. 
My choice in this example are V-colors, but my darker color is the RV66. 
A color from an other natural blending group, for me important to have two different shades of the same color.

With my color RV66 I have drawn a fine line on the side of darkest shade. 
And then I added very small dots, I adore my brush tips!


The second step: 
I draw a fine line on the opposite side of the darkest shadows with an intermediate color,  my choice is V12. Than I added more dots around this lines, and on the darker previous side
Because I want to have a volume effect, I keep the light in the middle of the tail.
 I have a darker side down, another intermediate up to give volume.


I keep coloring with another, lighter intermediate color, I use V01. 
Added more dots on the previous color and a bit more towards the center.


The central part of my drawing is not white, I have used the V000.
Again add more dots on the above and finish paint spots all the central part of the mermaid tail.


Now repeat again, I start with the darkest outer parts. 
Dots with V06.


 I'm going to the center, using an intermediate color, added more dots with V12.


And again I use V01 for parts around the area for more light. 


And this is my card with my colored drawing. 
The digital stamp is from Tiddly Inks. 
I hope you liked it and do them in practice, summer is the best time for coloring mermaids.

Copics I used:
Skin: E000, E00, E21, E11. R20 
Hair: E40, E41, E42, E43, E44.
Tail: RV66, V01, V000, V12.
Background: BG10, BG11, BG13.

Hugs and Kisses!

5 comments:

Margreet said...

Fab tutorial...thanks for sharing! Lovely card.
xxx Margreet

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cristina for the tutorial.
She's lovely! !!

Sandra H said...

Beautiful card and image and many thanks for the tutorial x

Marcela Esquivel said...

Thanks for the tutorial!!! Great card!!

Faye Wynn-Jones said...

Brilliant. I want to colour a mermaid now x