Friday, January 27, 2017

Believe in Magic

Hello everyone.
This is my first post at Copic Marker Europe and I am making a card that lights up.


Most of my cards are gifted to my kids’ friends, so I end up designing towards children. This one, though, I may keep it to myself 😁

To build the circuit I mapped the card on an extra piece of cardstock exactly the same size as the final card (stamps placed exactly on the same spots to ensure the wand led would be exactly beneath the star).  I used it as a base for my card and assembled the led circuit using Chibitronics leds and copper tape. This is how the circuit looks like when finished:

I then placed a frame around it using strips of 2 sheets of foam that I had glued together with double sided tape. This frame will help me position the card front exactly on top of its base.

Then, I coloured the card itself.  I started with the skin using E000/00/11/21 and E93 for blush.
I coloured the tutu dress with BG000/01/45/07.  Because the drawing is so tiny, I coloured dark to light, but first I mapped the shadows on the pleats using the lightest marker.

And after a few strokes the tutu dress was coloured:

When it was time to colour the leggings, I noticed that I had mistakenly coloured her right one. Lucky for me, Copics are very forgiving when it comes to light colours. A few light strokes of Colourless Blender and the legging was ready to go RVs. I used RV10/11/13:

I coloured her en pointe shoes with the same BGs combo I used on the tutu dress.

Then, couloured her hair with YR31/24 and E35.

To finish, I  used RV0000/000/00 on her wings and Y11/15 on her wand's star.
I lined her wand flourishes with atyou spika pens and finished the image.

When I glued the card to the the base I had assembled before, I was in for bad surprise: the glue showed through the card and I had a dirty spot. So, as any crafter would do, I creatively hid these malfunctioning parts: I die cut pink stars, coloured them with clear wink of Stella for some shimmer, and placed them around the card frame. I needed a big star to mark the “Press here” spot, so I chose one with a tail to hid the dirty mark.
Finally, I randomly glued some blue Martha Stewart’s iridescent stars sequins.
The final result:

And when we press it:

The lights are so much nicer when it's a bit darker, but then the photo will not be quite as good.

Again, I am not gifting this one 😉

I hope you like it!

A list of all the markers I used:

Skin: E000/00/11/21 and E93
Tutu dress and pointe shoes: BG000/01/45/07
Leggings: RV10/11/13
Hair: YR31/24 and E35
Wings: RV0000/000/00
Star: Y11/15

Be sure to check my blog for a list of all the used materials, and to see how I assembled the circuit :
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs Sandra x