Followers

Monday, May 18, 2020

Black and White Video plus Tips!


Hello everyone! It's Delphine here today sharing some black and white... and a video! I thought I would share a few tips about colouring monochrome and you will also find the recording of the colouring process below.

For my card, I used Make it Crafty Maiden Emoni, one of the Medieval Ladies, so I thought playing with a bit of black and white for ancient times would be nice :)

Here is the finished card :


I cropped my image and printed it on an SMLT bristol haiku card. I added some washi tape to keep a white margin around my image and then coloured everything using the N range - N0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.

Here is the video of the colouring process, and then a few explanations and tips :)


A FEW TIPS: 
- If you don't have the N family, you can easily achieve the same result using another grey family fom the Copic range.
- If you only own Ciaos and no Sketches, you can use odd numbers (plus 0 or 00) from the C or W family and add black 100 as your darkest colour, it works very well too.
- The order I coloured the different parts is:
1. Skin: N0, 2, 4 (0)
2. Background: N2, 4, 6
3. Clothes: N0, 2, 4, 6, 8
4. Hair: N4, 6, 8, 10
5. Details

- Start colouring using light colours, you can always go darker, it's more difficult to correct your colouring to make it lighter, it's also why I start with the skin, and choose and build the colours from there.
- Make sure the parts that are side by side are not in the same tones - so a light area, next to a dark area - alternate between light and dark.
- Think about shadow and light when colouring, it's even more important than usual, when playing with a limited number of markers and black and white - and it's a very good exercise ;)
- Don't force yourself to colour everything, don't be afraid to leave some white areas for highlights, it will give depth to your image!


Thanks for stopping by today! Hugs,
Delphine xx

2 comments:

Sandra H said...

So beautiful

Delphine said...

Thank you so much, Sandra! Hugs, Delphine xx