Followers

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Underpainting to Create Shading


Hi all. Today I'm sharing a technique known as underpainting, using greys and blues to create a base under subsequent layers of colour. The stamp set I'm using is Your Favourite Icecream from Create a Smile Stamps.


I stamped all the elements of the ice cream separately for dimension, but another option is to use masking paper and layer them as one piece. I used Perfect Copic Paper and Memento black ink. 


For the underpainting I started with C1 to mark out where I wanted to lay the shadow


I applied some C3 and then B41 to create my darker areas. 


Once the underpainting is done I coloured the ice cream red, yellow and brown. 




For the cone I used E53, E55 and E21. 


When I had my marker work done I used pencils to add fine detail and highlights. 


On the red layer I used a chalk marker to add white sprinkles. 


I popped the icecream up on foam tape on the front of the card and added a sentiment. 


Thanks for dropping by. I hope you are inspired to colour something today. 
Sandie
xXx

No comments: